Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Groundhogs day and a sense of time.

To speak of the Native American sense of time as a "chronology" may be deceiving, for the clock that dictates the flow and sequence of the Native American story is not strictly linear, as in the Western sense, but rather is cyclical. The reason they have a more cylclical view (from my own understanding) is because the most important things also move in cylcles. The seasons, the rotations around the sun ect....all cyclical. This made me think of groundhogs day. If the same day is repeated in a cycle isn't it fair to say (if we use the cyclical time idea) that day is important. IT makes me feel ok now when I use the same routine every day. I won't cry when I wake up to "When The Levy Breaks." I agree with Jon Nae that being concious and aware is not a bad thing. Being concious and aware helped me realize the importance of this day (since I woke up the same as yesterday).
That brings me to awareness. This is a tough goal to reach, to be aware that is. Walter Ong said "Sight isolates, sound incorporates. Whereas sight situates the observer outside what he views, at a distance, sound pours into the hearer. Vision dissects, as Merleau-Ponty has observed (1961). Vision comes to a human being from one direction at a time: to look at a room or a landscape, I must move my eyes around from one part to another. When I hear, however, I gather sound simultaneously from every directions at once; I am at the center of my auditory world, which envelopes me, establishing me at a kind of core of sensation and existence... You can immerse yourself in hearing, in sound. There is no way to immerse yourself similarly in sight. By contrast with vision, the dissecting sense, sound is thus a unifying sense. A typical visual ideal is clarity and distinctness, a taking apart. The auditory ideal, by contrast, is harmony, a putting together. Interiority and harmony are characteristics of human consciousness. The consciousness of each human person is totally interiorized, known to the person from the inside and inaccessible to any other person directly from the inside. Everyone who says 'I' means something different by it from what every other person means. What is 'I' to me is only 'you' to you... In a primary oral culture, where the word has its existence only in sound... the phenomenology of sound enters deeply into human beings' feel for existence, as processed by the spoken word. For the way in which the word is experienced is always momentous in psychic life."

No comments:

Post a Comment